News Flash

County News

Posted on: February 21, 2019


Tiny Home with a dog

Can I have a tiny home on my property? YES. 

With the recent adoption of Appendix Q of the International Building Code, Routt County now has a building code that allows for the construction of tiny homes. 

These tiny homes must be built on a permanent foundation and comply with all other requirements including provisions for water, a method to handle wastewater (black and grey), and valid and legal access. If constructed on a trailer, then the Planning Department views this as camping and is subject to the regulations that govern camping. 

Camping is only allowed in the Agriculture/Forestry zone district.  

Camping, Private Non-Commercial is a use by right and does not require any approvals from the County.  

Camping, Extended, Private Non-Commercial requires a Minor Use Permit to ensure that wastewater (grey and black) is handled properly.  

Contact a Planner at (970) 879-2704 or check the Planning Department website for more detail on this topic.

Planning Department Website
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in County News