Colorado state statutes set out the responsibilities of the Planning Commission (CRS sections 30-28-103 and 30-28-106). The Planning Commission’s primary function is to prepare and adopt a comprehensive plan. This process has been completed and Routt County has an adopted Master Plan which guides decision making. The Master Plan and other Sub-Area plans should be reviewed and updated as needed to reflect the goals of the County.
An essential function of the Planning Commission is to review planning applications. The Planning Commission will review applications based on the Routt County Zoning and Subdivision Regulations and conformance with the Routt County Master Plan and Sub-Area plans. The Planning Commission reviews, through public hearings, proposed zoning changes, subdivisions, replats as well as dedication and vacations of public land, rights-of-ways and easements, Special Use Permits (SUP), Conditional Use Permits (CUP) and Site Plan reviews. The Commission is closely involved in the preparation and amendment of land use regulations and provides recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners. Other essential functions include:
- Review and approval of applications for Conditional Use Permits, site plans, and Final Planned Unit Development (PUD) Plans.
- Review and make recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners regarding applications for Special Use Permits, vacations of public rights-of-way and utility easements, Conceptual PUD Plans, Land Preservation Subdivisions, and Sketch and Preliminary Subdivisions.
- Review and make recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners regarding proposed amendments to the Routt County Zoning Resolution and Zone District Map and the Routt County Subdivision Regulations.
- Make and adopt the Routt County Master Plan for the physical development of the unincorporated territory within Routt County.
The Planning Commission meets regularly on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 6:00 pm. See the Pending Applications page for information on how to participate.
All programs, services and activities of Routt County are operated in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Routt County uses the Relay Colorado service. Dial 711 or TDD (970) 870-5444.
The Routt County Planning Commission consists of 9 regular members and 2 alternate members appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The following is a list of the members, along with the district they represent and the date that their term expires:
Commissioner Assuming Position:
District One – North Routt
Mr. Steve Warnke
District Two – Steamboat Springs Vicinity
Mr. Jim DeFrancia
District Three – West Routt
Mr. Brian Kelly
District Four – South Routt
Mr. Bill Norris
City of Steamboat Springs
Mr. Greg Jaeger
Town of Oak Creek
Mr. Andy Benjamin
Town of Hayden
Mr. Paul Weese
Town of Yampa
Mr. Ren Martyn
Ms. Linda Miller
Mr. Pete Wood
- View available Planning Commission agendas and minutes.
- View application materials for activities pending before the Planning Commission.
- The Planning Commission has a handbook that serves as a guide to facilitate good public hearings. You can viewed and downloaded a copy of the Planning Commission's handbook.
Serving on the Planning Commission is an excellent opportunity to positively impact Routt County. If you would like to formally apply, please feel welcome to email the Planning Department with the following documents:
- Current Resume
Once received, the Planning Director & Staff will review the submitted information and work with you to better understand what board or position may be the best fit. We thank you for your interest and look forward to learning more about you!