Sonja Macys, Commissioner District III
Sonja was elected as Routt County Commissioner in November of 2022 and sworn into office on January 10, 2023. She has held a variety of elected positions in the Yampa Valley, including two terms as a Steamboat Springs City Council Member and one term on the Yampa Valley Electric Association Board.
Sonja and her husband, Chuck Willard, live near the Steamboat Ski Area but the south valley is close to their hearts. They were engaged at South Shore in Stagecoach and married at High Meadows Ranch on Lynx Pass.
Sonja’s professional background is in natural resources. Locally, she has served as Executive Director of the non-profit environmental education organization Yampatika, and worked for the Colorado Division of Water Resources.
She enjoys horseback riding, skiing, hiking, camping, and attending bluegrass festivals.
Sonja Macys, Commissioner
Master of Science, Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Past Boards & Committees:
- Steamboat Springs City Council Member
- Board Member, Yampa Valley Electric Association
- Board Member, Yampa River Fund Board
- Resource Advisory Committee Member, Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests
- Advisory Committee Member, Colorado Mountain College, Sustainability Studies
- Chair, NW Colorado Environmental Education Leadership Council
- Legacy Partnership Committee Member, Environmental Education Seat
- Steering Committee Member, Colorado Parks & Wildlife, Partners in the Outdoors
- Board Member, Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education
- Steering Committee Member, Colorado Local Resilience Project
- Board Member, First Impressions of Routt County