Civil Union Licenses
RequirementsIn accordance with the requirements below, a license for Civil Unions in Colorado may be obtained from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Office of the Routt County Clerk and Recorder. The License is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days in the State of Colorado. After Colorado legalized gay marriage in 2014 and a 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision legalized gay marriage nationwide, Civil Unions are uncommon. Most couples choose to obtain a Marriage License.
An appointment is required. Please call our office at 970-870-5556 to set a date and time when the both of you can come in.
The fee is $30.00 as of May 1, 2013. Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted.
A license issued by another state should not be signed in Colorado. A license issued in Colorado must be signed in Colorado.
AgeThe age requirements for both parties are the same:
- 18 and older - no parental or judicial consent is required
- Younger than 18 - Judicial approval or court order is required - No Exceptions
IdentificationValid and current government-issued identification must be furnished by both parties.
Example: passport, birth certificate, drivers license, military I.D., etc.
Both parties must complete and sign the civil union application form. At least one of the parties must apply in person before the clerk. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete an affidavit received from the county clerk's office with their signature notarized. Parties already married in another state may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other. Applicants for a civil union license need not be Colorado residents.
An online civil union application can be found by following this path:
* Start at the Clerk and Recorder home page.
* Click on Recorded Documents in the blue bar.
* Click on Records Search under the page heading Records Search.
* When it asks you to log in, click on the grey box that says Login as Guest.
* Accept the disclaimer.
* Under where it says What Would You Like to Do Today, click on Begin Online Civil Union Process.
* All fields in red are required fields as well as parental information (if known) and divorce information (if applicable).